If you are facing foreclosure or you may be in jeopardy of a possible foreclosure, the FAQs below may help you discover information to help you avert losing your home.

Don't hesitate contacting any of the organizations listed below. They exist to help you.

Q. What can I do if I fall behind on my mortgage payments?
A. Before you speak to your mortgage lender, you can contact a not-for-profit housing organization for counseling. These organizations are approved by the Department of Housing and Urban Development to provide counseling to you.

Westchester Residential Opportunities (WRO)
470 Mamaroneck Avenue
White Plains, New York 10605-1830

Human Development Services of Westchester (HDSW)
Neighborhood Preservation Company Program
28 Adee Street
Port Chester, New York 10573
Tel: (914) 939-4144

Community Housing Innovations, Inc.
75 South Broadway, Suite 340
White Plains, NY 10601
Tel: (914) 683-1010

Q. What can I do if I've received a default or foreclosure notice from my lender, bank or mortgage company?
A. It's important that you contact one of the not-for-profit housing counseling agencies listed above. These counseling agencies are certified by the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development to provide default and foreclosure counseling. They are experienced in helping people deal with lenders to prevent foreclosure. Learn more about foreclosure and preventing it from the resources below:

Q. Who can I contact to help me with questions about my credit worthiness to secure a mortgage and to help me budget properly for monthly mortgage payments?
A. Yes, contact:

Community Capital New York
44 Executive Boulevard
Elmsford, New York 10532
Phone: (914) 747-8020

Q. Where can I learn about preventing foreclosure and predatory lenders, who may take unfair advantage of my financial circumstances?
A. Contact Westchester Residential Opportunities. They wll explain the importance of preventing foreclosure by maintaining good financial practices and avoiding predatory lenders.

Westchester Residential Opportunities (WRO): "Don't Borrow Trouble"
470 Mamaroneck Avenue
White Plains, New York 10605-1830

Q. Where can I find information on how to keep my home safe and secure?
A. A good place to start with Consumer Reports. The Consumer Reports outlines security measures you can follow for your home, such as choosing the best locks, kick proof doors, secure glass, prudent landscaping and outdoor lighting.

Q. Where can I learn how make basic repairs to maintain my home?
A. The Putnam Northern Westchester BOCES offers an eight-session course on basic home repairs. Participants will learn to fix walls, outlets, plumbing, doors along with other tasks in a safe manner.

Putnam Northern Westchester BOCES
Continuing Education Office
200 BOCES Drive
Yorktown Heights, New York 10598
Tel: (914248-2430

Q. Where can I learn about insuring my home and its contents?
A. The New York State Insurance Department offers easy to read information on topics such as:

  • Basic insurance terms
  • Choosing a policy
  • How much insurance is needed
  • What to do before and after a loss
  • The cost of insurance

The NYS Insurance Department also offers a free handbook you can view and print. Consumer Reports is another reliable source of information about homeowners and flood insurance in simple language.

Q. Where can I read some information on flood insurance for my home?
A. The National Flood Insurance program maintains an informative Web site on flood insurance. Consumer Reports offers introductory facts you need to know about flood insurance, including some common questions and standard premium amounts.